Wednesday, June 22, 2011

wouldn't it be nice

So I just (well, took a shower--it IS the middle of a work week) got home from Brian Wilson. Oh lordy. This is the guy who wrote so many classic songs, and while many of them feel so carefree and happy, the guy was battling paternal abuse, drug addiction, depression, stagefright, and a blown out ear (a result of the abuse from his father) along the way.

He moved slowly. I'm fairly certain that he had a teleprompter. But that doesn't make the show any less moving. Brian played 2 sets; the first, a set of Gershwin classics that he had re-worked for an album that came out last year. Everyone really came alive for the second, which included the greats: "Heroes and Villians", "Good Vibrations", "Barbara Ann", "Help Me, Rhonda", and one of my personal favourites, "Darlin'". I was on an estrogen roll this evening, tearing up at my very favourites, "Wouldn't It Be Nice", "Don't Worry, Baby", and "God Only Knows". I wanted to punch two young ladies who, I guess decided to take a bathroom break? BEFORE GOD ONLY KNOWS. As Brian started to mention, "This next song is the best I ever wrote". Wow.

2 comments:

H said...

I remember listening to it on dad's mix tape on road trips and while we played barbies in the basement!

harada57 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.