Monday, February 07, 2011

You know you make me wanna (Shout!)

I'm having a nice relaxing 4-day weekend here, and I thought I should actually update the ol' blog! I've been away from school for almost an entire year now, and I'm going to need some way to keep up my writing skills, since my new job will likely require some brain use. Yes, you heard it straight from the horse's mouth...new job!

I start on Wednesday, hence why I'm not at work (and why I've got an entirely too large to-do list sitting in front of me). And, as everyone around me can tell, I'm very excited for this new job! First of all, it actually utilizes my 5 years of university. From what I've seen and heard so far, the office is pretty much the OPPOSITE of every other office I've ever worked in and that alone is just awesome. Very young, hip, small, tight-knit group. and HELLO, it's a 5-minute walk from our house!!! commutes just physically drain me so I am very much looking forward to this arrangement.

My friends and I have been lovin' old soul music ever since we got our hands on some of my dad's old compilations (Atlantic Soul Classics, Motown: the Classic Years, Stevie Wonder: the Definitive Collection) and so you can understand how thrilled I am since we've discovered several Winnipeg gems that feed my addition:
  • The Retro Rhythm Review: A pile of young'ns just like myself who play a great mix of motown and soul (Aretha Franklin, Stevie Wonder, Jackson 5, The Four Tops) and veer into later years as well (including Michael Jackson medley, Sly and the Family Stone, the Commodores). All very danceable. They seem to have a semi-regular gig at the Kings Head and the dance floor is PACKED every time we go to see them, which is awesome. Will be much better when we don't have to drag winter coats with us. Ha.
  • The Solutions: Right up there with RRR, this band makes for a good time! Songs chosen tend to be slightly less danceable, but no less classic. I was thoroughly impressed with the band's version of "Shout" (Isley Brothers). Trombonist doubled as a vocalist for the "Yeah Yeah!" parts, which had us nearly doubled over from laughter.
  • J.Foxe's Restaurant & Local: This pub is now very close to my hood (only a 20 Watt bus-ride away!), reasonably priced for pints, and seems to have soul-related nights quite often. We saw the Solutions there a couple weeks ago, and another night, they had DJ's mixing up some soul records. Not as hectic as a pub like the Kings Head on a weekend night, so it's nice and chill.
Well, it's time to tackle some of the stuff on my to-do list. Until next time!

No comments: